Well I certainly would not have accepted had I been in John's position; I am a strong believer in the democratic system and if the electorate did not want me less than a year ago, I would not accept such an offer.  Council should have approached someone else, and in my opinion, its decision was insensitive.

Also I have made it clear I have no problem with co-option at all, and indeed have no problem with co-option of non-members of CILIP, but I don't like the idea of a third of the full Board (and potentially half of the Board if there is a still quorate meeting of 8 Board members) being non-members.

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim

From: Phil Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, 12 August 2014, 12:51
Subject: Re: John Dolan rejoins CILIP Council in Tom Roper's place

Charles, this is disappointing. You know full well that this is the
process that CILIP has always had; there is nothing new or different
here, and it's something that members are aware of, and certainly
those who stand for, or who stand down from Council know will happen.
This is therefore not a 'casual vacancy co-option offer', but the way
that a democratic organisation works; it would have been offered to
whoever came 5th in the election process, and that's exactly how it
should work.

What would your solution be? To have Council with 11, rather than 12
trustees for the rest of the year, and then elect 5 this autumn for
2015 (assuming that we are still using the current system). I don't
really see how helpful that would be, and in any case, that would mean
electing 5 people for next year, and if John stood, and was 5th again,
we'd end up with exactly the same situation; ie. him becoming a
trustee again. Or would you prefer Council to co-opt someone who was
not involved in the elections at all, which would be rather similar to
one of the governance proposals that you've already said that you're
against.

To say that "It demonstrates a degree of contempt by Council for CILIP
members' views" is nonsense - CILIP members had an opportunity to
vote, they voted, this is the outcome, and it is taking into direct
account what members wanted. In fact I could argue that to actually
leave Council so soon after being elected to sit for three years is
rather more in contempt of those people who voted for them than
anything else. If Tom had not stood, John would have been elected, and
that would have been the end of the matter.

Phil.

--
Phil Bradley: Internet Consultant, Trainer, Social Media observer and Author.
    Visit http://www.philb.com for free information on aspects of the