I made a serious suggestion for a permanent change.  On second thoughts, perhaps your system is a good idea.  In the last general election I came second with 21% of the vote.  To extend your logic, if the current MP (55% of the vote) had resigned mid-term, I would be next in line, and of course everyone would be delighted for me to replace him as I did get enough votes to come in second place.

Don’t tell me it is completely different because it isn’t.  Those of us who voted for Tom did so because he stood for a set of values we agreed with.

Oh, and while I’m at it, could we please have a preferential  voting system to make it even fairer, numbering candidates from 1 to 6 or whatever in order of preference?  And that is another serious suggestion to make the system more democratic.

Margaret

From: Library and Information Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bridget Knutson
Sent: 12 August 2014 17:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: John Dolan rejoins CILIP Council in Tom Roper's place

You can't just alter a bye-law to suit the occasion. I actually think this is a good thing, to offer the next in line candidate a place. They were voted for, maybe not by enough people to give them a place the first time around, but by enough people to come in fifth place. It is up to them to decide whether to accept it or not.

The emails about John being offered a place sound like petulant children, saying "it's not fair".

Bridget Knutson

LRC Manager

The Kings of Wessex

Sent from my iPad