Good morning,

Thank you all who replied to my query regarding the use of social media.  As promised I have collated your responses, hope its useful

Our organisation has a Twitter account @NHSGGC which the corporate communications team use to disseminate news etc, and to which other departments can submit material.  It is possible to request permission to set up a departmental Twitter account as well.  In theory this permission could also be sought for a departmental presence on Facebook etc though I do not think this has been done.  There is a strict policy on photography and patient information and due to misuse the organisation until recently was very wary of allowing any departmental social media use.  Access to social media sites has until recently been impossible from work and is still variable (blogs tend to be blocked for instance).

Quite a lot here: our Innovation Forum, and our IHI Chapter both use Twitter accounts, and of course so do we:

@BSUHIHI

@IF_BSUH

@BrightonSx_LKS

We use Twitter to promote and share public health research and evidence and as a source of the same for ourselves from the organisations we follow.

This is our Twitter account @NHS_KS

We use Twitter, a library blog, and current awareness bulletins which are posted on our intranet and internet sites.  @DerbyNHSLibrary

We use Twitter, our Blog and Yammer to publicise our Current Awareness Bulletins to our staff and anyone else who might find them useful.

@uhlcl

Social media is being used more and more by UCLH to engage with our patients, GPs, staff and members of the public. UCLH already uses several social media platforms and apps to do this.

Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/UCLHNHS

Using social media in your recruitment process: the essential guide for HR directors and managers. London: NHS Employers, July 2013. Briefing No. 92.

Social media for chief executives: the essential guide. London: NHS Employers, June 2013. Briefing No. 91.

Increasing staff engagement with social media. London: NHS Employers, March 2013. Briefing No. 88.

Silverman, M. Bakhshalian, E. [and] Hillman, L. (2013). Social media and employee voice: the current landscape. London: Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) / NHS Employers, March 2013.

HR and social media in the NHS: an essential guide for HR directors and managers. London: NHS Employers, January 2013. Briefing No. 87.

All available at http://www.nhsemployers.org/

I recently did an assignment on this for my degree – found this site and toolkit excellent – hope it’s the kind of thing you’re looking for

http://www.nhsemployers.org/your-workforce/need-to-know/social-media-and-the-nhs/a-social-media-toolkit-for-the-nhs

http://www.nhsemployers.org/~/media/Employers/Publications/NHS_Social_Media_Toolkit_%20Introduction_and_Process.pdf

The HSJ had a supplement on social media a few months ago. It’s available as a PDF from here http://www.hsj.co.uk/resource-centre/supplements/meet-the-people-using-social-media-to-make-a-difference/5071159.article

“In this list, the first of its kind, we highlight the work of clinicians, patients and families who have used social media as a powerful force for change and as a way to inspire, campaign, spread best practice and raise awareness”

Sounds relevant!

Regards

Alison

Alison Sherratt

Primary Care Librarian

Library and Knowledge Service

Level 1

Centre for Education and Training

Kings Mill Hospital

Mansfield Road

Sutton in Ashfield

Notts NG17 4JL

Tel 01623 622515 ext 4222

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient any reading, printing, storage, disclosure, copying or any other action taken in respect of this e-mail is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this message in error please inform the sender.  Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author and do not represent the views of Sherwood Forest Hospitals Foundation Trust unless otherwise explicitly stated.

Any files attached to this email will have been checked by us with virus detection software before transmission.  You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.  Sherwood Forest Hospitals Foundation Trust accepts no liability for any loss or damage that may be caused by software viruses.

To get more involved with your local hospital join our free membership scheme at www.sfh-tr.nhs.uk