Absolutely agree with Kim's points - and a quick reminder - we collate messages to the LD community thus #loveld - and to students thusly #studychat
All the best,
Sandra

On 6 August 2014 12:25, Kim Shahabudin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Oh, it's also very important to keep an eye on Notifications and Direct Messages - if someone mentions or messages you and doesn't get a response (if it's appropriate), it can cause bad feeling.

Kim

Dr Kim Shahabudin, FHEA, Study Adviser, Study Advice & Maths Support

1st Floor, University of Reading Library, Whiteknights, PO Box 223, Reading, RG6 6AE

( 0118 378 4242/4614 : www.reading.ac.uk/studyadvice twitter: @unirdg_study

Please note that I now work part-time and am not usually on campus on Mondays.

From: learning development in higher education network [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Kim Shahabudin [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 August 2014 12:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Twitter

We've had a Twitter account for some years now, and find it very useful - @UniRdg_StudyAdvice. It's definitely increased our reach and reputation, both locally and nationally - we're regularly retweeted by users at the University and beyond. We use it to advertise events, share timely tips and relevant tweets by other support services at the University and elsewhere. Most importantly in my view, it allows us to show a human side - we can be a bit less formal than we are in our more official communications and marketing.

The biggest pitfall for me is forgetting which Twitter account I have open and accidentally tweeting something that was meant for my personal or professional account! Luckily this doesn't often happen and is easily remedied once I've noticed. You do need to have a clear audience in mind - ours is student-facing so I don't tweet things that are going to be of more interest to staff (e.g. LD conference papers) and if I tweet something that's going to be of interest only to some of my intended audience, I make it clear (e.g. I often retweet PhD Comics). For interacting with other learning developers, I prefer to use my professional account @kimshahabudin.

HTH.