Hi Isabel,

That is a good point - I am sorry for bringing up University-based ethics
when the discussion was in regards to NHS and NRES.  I suspect that the
others were all staying within the NHS / NRES context with their points.

I have never put an ID-related project through NHS ethics.  However, I have
put another project through NHS ethics, on the topic of EEG in infants of
mothers with depression/anxiety.  This protocol was ultimately approved,
but the process was decidedly more difficult and less logical than my
experience with proposals at the University.  So, I would guess that the
problem with ID proposals to NHS is an interaction between process and lack
of specific expertise on ID, as suggested by others.  One thing I can
further add is that the hospital-based ethics review in the USA is
similarly difficult (obtuse?) relative to University-based ethics review.
The belief of many researchers in the USA is that the hospital-based ethics
review process is often impacted by personal interests, pet priorities, and
a different understanding of the role and purpose of an ethics review
committee, on behalf of those who typically sit on the committees, relative
to University-based committees.

Joe