The .mat file is optional and only if you want the final perfusion image to be transformed into MNI standard space. The registration of ASL data to structural image will be done for you by ASL_gui and you don't need to worry that the input data is 4D. However, it might be that this registration is not perfect, in which case you might like to try your own registration - the transformation from this can be applied to the perfusion image in the 'native_space' output directory from ASL_gui. That directory contains the perfusion image in the same resolution and orientation as the original data. You should not provide ASL_gui with ASL data that has already been normalised, it is expecting the original raw data.

Michael