I agree with Timothy Perrott regarding the language the advertisement is written in.  If the role requires a good knowledge of German, that knowledge should at least be good enough to read the advertisement.

Far more serious is the use of the term 'native speaker'.  Some associations (to my knowledge IATEFL and BAAL) will not carry advertisements that use the term 'native speaker'.  I would suggest that EATAW might want to consider doing the same.  I am hoping that on this list we do not need to rehearse here the arguments that the definition of this term is problematic anyway (the Director of my Department and eminent applied linguist Ernesto Macaro came to the UK speaking only Italian at the age of eight - would that eliminate him from the shortlist?)?  I am hoping that we do not need to point out that the job advertised requires skills that may be possessed in greater quality and quantity by people who have not been born in a certain place?

This issue has been widely debated in the field.  I append a draft bibliography for those who are interested.

Best wishes to all,

Catherine

Amin, N.  (2001).  Nativism, the native speaker construct, and minority immigrant women teachers of English as a second language.  CATESOL Journal 13(1):89-107.

Beckett, G. H. and Stiefvater, A. (2009).  Change in ESL graduate students' perspectives on non-native English-speaker teachers.  TESL Canada Journal / Revue TESL du Canada 27(1):27-46.

Bonfiglio, T. P.  (2010).  Mother Tongues and Nations: The Invention of the Native Speaker.   Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.

Boyle, J.  (1997).  Native-speaker teachers of English in Hong Kong.  Language and Education 11(3):163-181.

Cook, V.  (1999). Going beyond the native speaker in language teaching.  TESOL Quarterly 33/2:185-209.

Davies, A.  (2003).  The Native Speaker: Myth and Reality.  Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.

Grubbs, S. J., Jantarach, V. & Kettem, S. (2010). Studying English with Thai and native-speaking teachers. Teachers and Teaching 16/5: 559-576.

Lasagabaster, D. & Sierra, J. M.  (2002).  University students' perceptions of native and non-native speaker teachers of English.  Language Awareness 11(2):132-142.

Liu, J. (1999). Nonnative-English-speaking professionals in TESOL. TESOL Quarterly 33/1:85-102.

Llurda, E.  (2004).  Non-native-speaker teachers and English as an international language.  International Journal of Applied Linguistics 14(3):314-323.

Medgyes, P.  (2001).  When the teacher is a non-native speaker.  In Celce-Murcia, M. (Ed.), Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language.  Boston, MA:  Heinle & Heinle, pp 429-442.

Moussu, L. (2010). Influence of teacher-contact time and other variables on ESL students’ attitudes towards native- and nonnative-English-speaking teachers. TESOL Quarterly 44/4:746-768.

Moussu, L. & Llurda, E. (2008). Non-native English-speaking English language teachers:  history and research. Language Teaching 41/3: 315- 348.

Mullock, B. (2010).  Does a good language teacher have to be a native speaker?   In Mahboob, A. (Ed.) The NNEST Lens: Non Native English Speakers in TESOL.   Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, pp. 87-113.

Musha Doerr, N.  (Ed.) (2009).  The Native Speaker Concept:  Ethnographic Investigations of Native Speaker Effects.  Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.

Subtirelu, N. (2013). What (do) learners want (?):  a re-examination of the issue of learner preferences regarding the use of ‘native’ speaker norms in English language teaching. Language Awareness 22/3: 270-291.

Wang, L.-Y. (2012).  Moving towards the transition:  non-native EFL teachers' perception of native-speaker norms and responses to varieties of English in the era of global spread of English.  Asian EFL Journal 14(2).

-----
Dr Catherine Walter
Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics
Vice Principal, Linacre College

Oxford University Department of Education
15 Norham Gardens, Oxford OX2 6PY    UK
tel +44 (0)1865 274010

http://www.education.ox.ac.uk/about-us/directory/dr-catherine-walter/

MSc / Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching English Language in University Settings:

http://www.education.ox.ac.uk/courses/msc-telus

Committee for Linguistics in Education:  www.clie.org.uk

-----