Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 03:40:12 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [DISASTER-RESILIENCE] Resilience of the Built Environment
To: [log in to unmask]

I am currently Chairman of ISO TC59 SC15 which is dealing with performance parameters for houses, but also a member of the TC59 Chairman’s Advisory Group which looks at the overall activities of TC59 which is concerned with the overall built environment.  At our last meeting the issue of resilience was raised and whether there is a need for international standardisation of terms such as ‘building resilience’ and ‘resilience of the built environment’, and of parameters which are used, if any, to specify and measure the performance of buildings and the built environment generally in respect of resilience. I offered to look at the issue before our next meeting in October.

It is appreciated that the term ‘resilience’ is a generic word which needs to be qualified in terms of resilience of what  against what.  Our interest is the contribution made by the built environment to the resilience of communities against natural events such as earthquakes, floods and tropical cyclones, what is meant by the resilience of the built environment and its components such as buildings and infrastructure networks  in this context, and the ‘resilience performance’ parameters that could be used for describing the properties of the various components in respect of their contribution to the overall community resilience.

We do not wish to reinvent the wheel. If anyone has already looked at this issue or knows of papers which deal with it, I would be pleased to hear from them.

I have attached a brief CV and a recent paper which will give you an indication of my background in disaster mitigation activities.

Regards

George Walker.

Dr George Walker | Aon Benfield Analytics Asia Pacific
Analytical Services | Honorary Research Fellow
201 Kent Street Sydney NSW 2000
t: +61754786442 | m: +61411407066
e: [log in to unmask]

This email (and any attachments) is confidential and may not be distributed, copied or used without the prior consent of (as applicable) Aon plc, its related bodies or partners (“Aon Group”). The contents of this email may also be subject to privilege and all rights to that privilege are expressly reserved. If you have received this email in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and delete this email (and any attachments) and destroy any printed copy. The views expressed in the email may be the views of the sender and not the Aon Group.

Before opening or using attachments, you should check them for viruses and defects. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.