I don't know where the DV report would come from but I would be careful
about adding anything to anyone else's report as the alleged perpetrator
is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Maurice Frankel
Sent: 31 July 2014 17:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Domestic violence recording

There would be a case for adding something to the record of a child
living in the household if the child is thought to be at risk.

But not sure about the suggestion at the bottom.  Unlike the solicitor,
the GP isn't representing one party against another and should be
capable of treating both when ill.

Maurice Frankel
Campaign for Freedom of Information

On 31 Jul 2014, at 15:12, Paul Ticher wrote:

> The question must be: why?  If you have a good reason there is
normally a Data-Protection-compliant course of action available.

> Possible reasons include wanting to ensure that the victim and
perpetrator are never given appointments that might bring them into the
clinic at the same time.  There may also be a separate risk to the
clinic staff or other patients, that staff who have dealings with the
perpetrator need to know about.  And given the controlling nature of
many DV perpetrators there may well be a case for ensuring that the
staff are alert to any attempt the perpetrator might make to extract
information about the victim from the practice by deception (especially
if they are married and there is any likelihood that staff might assume
it is OK to give information about one partner to the other).

> There is a question about whether the information should be in the
patient record or whether there should be just a flag on the patient
record and a separate risk record, given that patient records could be
shared more widely for medical purposes than they need to be shared for
the purposes outlined above.

> Also, just as a solicitor can't act for both parties in a dispute,
there may be a case for the practice telling the perpetrator to find
another GP.

       leave data-protection to [log in to unmask] All user
commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm
 Any queries about sending or receiving messages please send to the list
owner
  Full help Desk - please email [log in to unmask] describing your
needs