 "Why are some walls so loud and others mute"

An interesting question.

I suspect it depends of the wall is trying to 'protect' you, it's 'in your favour', OR is the wall trying to keep you out, exclude you,  it's against you.

The Berlin Wall was to 'protect' the Communists from a loss of people to the West; it simultaneously restricted us Westerners from access to half a city, and indeed half a continent, and for Germans, half a country. The Berlin Wall also ran from the Baltic to the eastern Alps and on down to the Black Sea. This restriction became very real during the Berlin Blockade during the 60s. the incident where the US President announced "I am a doughnut" (Ich Bin Ein Berliner).

However from a Western perspective, and Israel is a Western-oriented island in a different, Islamic, region, the Israel Wall is 'protetcive', not exclusionary. Similarly, the US Wall along the Mexican border, funny they don't have one on the Canadian border isn't it.

We, in the West, hear more about other Walls that are 'exclusionary'.for us, like the Korea Wall, the Cyprus Wall, and former Walls in Belfast and Cotteslowe, Oxford (I'm using 'Wall' in a wide sense here). Historically we hear less about the (very) old Dublin Wall, the 'Pale' enforced by Norman occupiers of 'John Bull's Other Island', to keep out 'Celtic barbarians' (hence the saying, 'beyond the pale'). That was a 'protective' wall, for 'us'.

What would be interesting is to hear from crit-geoggers from other countries, on the other side of such Walls (not expecting much N Korean contribution here of course). Every Wall that 'protects' on one side 'excludes' on the other.

Any comments from The Other Side Of The Wall' (great thing about the Internet, social media, it bridges walls very well, as we saw in the Arab Spring recently). Electrons can leap walls where humans cannot jump.

Dr Hillary J. Shaw
 Director and Senior Research Consultant
Shaw Food Solutions
Newport