Neil

I would consider the void below a timber suspended floor to be accessible – it is easy for people to lift floor boards to lay cable in the void for example (I’ve done it myself!).  Therefore put a venting layer below the membrane and make sure the concrete over the membrane is sufficiently thick to protect it.

The sand blinding and well compacted hardcore will not be suitable as a venting layer as they will not be permeable enough.  You need as an absolute minimum 20mm single size material for a small house with perforated pipes or geocomposite strips in it .

The pipes should have with sufficient perforations in them to give the required gas/air flow and the composite should have sufficient permeability to give the required air flow.

If you do not put a venting layer below you should make sure the verification and testing of the membrane meet the highest level in the latest CIRIA guidance as you will be placing a lot of reliance on it.

Steve Wilson,

UK Registered Ground Engineering Adviser

Technical Director

on behalf of EPG

Tel 07971 277869

www.epg-ltd.co.uk

-----( Disclaimer )-----

Information contained in this e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee only, and is confidential and may contain commercially sensitive material. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this communication, other than for which it is explicitly intended, without the permission of the sender is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Whilst all e-mails are screened for known viruses, the company cannot accept responsibility for any which have been transmitted.