From: Blanc Celine [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 08 August 2014 10:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Lion Fabien
Subject: question about uk vs frecnh methodology

Dear Michael,

I hope you are fine. We are currently working on developing a national
guidance for the French ministry of the environment. This document will
provide guidance on how to carry out mass balance calculations for
contaminated land remediation projects. This guide is intended to be used by
consulting firms, remediation works companies or French authorities.

“Mass balance” refers to two concepts :

·         The estimation of the amount of pollutant (mass and/or volume) in
soils (based for instance on results from soils investigations)

·         The estimation of the dissolution mass transfer rate in the
groundwater (outflow rate), which can be expected (based for instance on
leaching or percolation tests results).

Its principal aims is help future users to answer the following question:
“How far is it relevant to remediate, based on available technical inputs
and the financial resources?”. The methodology is referring to the Pareto
principle (also called 80/20 law) : by removing 20 % of a contamination
source (i.e. a very well characterized hot spot), one can remove about 80 %
of the problem (the remaining contamination on site will be “acceptable”
based on human health risk assessments or groundwater risk assessments).

Another important objective of this guide is to provide a methodology, fully
supported with  examples. In order to illustrate the methodology with real
examples, we are looking for projects where the “mass balance” methodology
would have been applied.

We are wondering if this kind of approach is being used in UK and we are
interested in the following illustrations : analytical results, maps showing
spatial distribution of the contamination on the site (ideally with
iso-concentration curves, otherwise raw results), calculations of soil or
product lens volumes to be removed (otherwise raw results), results of
remediation works (if done), etc.

The origin/sources of any data or results that you could provide us with,
will remain confidential. No company or locality name will be mentioned. All
results will be used anonymously.

Any help to illustrate this future guidance would be very appreciated.

My colleague in copy is working especially on this subject. I hope you can
help us and after our work for the French Ministry, if you are interested
we’ll send you one copy of the guidance.

Best Regards,

Céline

P Pensez à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce message

       Think Environment before printing

Le contenu de ce mél et de ses pièces jointes est destiné à l'usage exclusif
du (des) destinataire(s) désigné(s) comme tel(s).

En cas de réception par erreur, le signaler à son expéditeur et ne pas en
divulguer le contenu.
s'assurer de l'absence de contamination à sa réception.

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are
intended for the named recipient(s) only.

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or
the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to
anyone or make copies.

This email was scanned for viruses, vandals and malicious content.