Dear Remie,
I meant application of GF as an ion exchange column. You can use special ion exchange columns, but our lab often uses preparative GF columns for this task.  We just load the column, keeping sample volume <  the void volume. Thus, we do not  concentrate a protein before an ion exchange, only after it. But that is inevitable. When I am afraid to loose a protein during its concentrating, I concentrate shoulders of the eluted peak first, then add a central part.

My point was that it might be okay to exchange buffers by concentrating a protein, but other molecules like Peg3K would not penetrate the membrane as well as water or salts do, as a result their reduction in concentration will be unreliable. Like, you do a 10 fold concentrating/delusion of a solution, but the final concentration of PEG3K will drop only by 3 fold...

Alex