Dear Bing,

My best guess is that these are artefacts due to the increased noise level at special positions (in your case a sixfold increase - see for example: http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?S0365110X66000264).

I agree with your assessment that it is best to leave such peaks unmodelled unless their interpretation makes chemical sense.

Best,
Oliver.