Dear All:

My name is Anabel Fernandez. I'm a Cuban sociologist researching on
Caribbean Cinema. I just presented my master degree thesis entitled "The
image behind the screen, Film Consumption in the Nederland Antilles",
focussed on studying the shaping of film consumption practices in the island
of Aruba, with the specific objective of deciphering how people react to
indigenous and regional cinema after decades of consuming almost exclusively
American films. My view is that there is an important change of perspective
when watch a film that refers to a distant reality and tells you a story
from which you can take a certain distance and when you are placed in front
of a film that references your own reality. The uses are not the same and
the subject's position changes. This is a situation that one can find
reproduced in virtually every island in the Caribbean, since regional cinema
is still emerging; this is an issue deeply intermixed with important
cultural and identity related issues in the whole Caribbean, and has been so
far poorly studied. What I did  was a study case, conducted in the Island of
Aruba, an includes a description of the exhibition system, a
characterization of the consumption practices and an exploration of the
possible factors that intervene in the shaping of those practices. I had the
opportunity of surveying a large sample of youngsters (1700+ aged 12 to 17)
and also interviewed many of them, as well as cultural authorities and
exhibitors in the Island. Now the study is finished I would like to share
the results.

I would like to consult list members if they are aware of any related
studies that I could consult to compare data, and if you know about
publications that could be interested in publishing an article on the
aforementioned topic.

Thank you all for your time, I really appreciate your comments.

Warmest,

Anabel