From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Fabian
Sent: 30 August 2014 00:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New blog post: Elizabeth I and the 'Blackamoors': the Deportation that never was

When we bear in mind the complexities of the relationships, eg  Thomas Dallam, organ builder, was dispatchedfrom Elizabeth's court to the Ottoman Empire at a time when Van Senden's sponsor Thomas Sherley wa steaming up with Rudolf II, the Hapsburg Emperor. The entanglement of politics and policy goes far beyond an approach which tries to fit these machinations within a framework based on early 21st century politics.

However, our 21st century politics is alos based on the ability to handle information, i.e the remarks in the paragraph above arose from an ability to extract info from the internet, combined with an overarching perspective, ratyher than many years of highly focused research.

all the best

Fabian

On Fri, August 29, 2014 11:28 pm, Miranda Kaufmann wrote:

> Yes, but even worse, the authors of the book "Tudor Royal

> Proclamations"(1964) mistakenly included the c.1601 document (it is in

> fact undated) which only exists as a draft in Cecil's papers, is not

> in the Acts of the Privy Council and so was never promulgated, thus

> giving it a status it never had.

> On Friday, 29 August 2014, Susan Bolton / Jeffrey Green <

> [log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> The 1971 "The Black Presence. A Documentary History of the Negro in

>> England" by James Walvin (London: Orbach and Chambers) has on its

>> back cover the Royal Proclamation of 1601 which says 'the said kind

>> of people  shall be with all speed avoided and discharged out of her

>> majesty's realms'. which Fryer (1984) quotes (page 12) and adds 'But

>> this second attempt to get rid of black people was no more successful

>> than the first. From that day to this, there has been a continuous

>> black presence in Britain'.

>> Fryer is not guilty, it seems: and suggestions that expulsions took

>> place need to be proved.

>> Jeff Green

>> Message Received: Aug 29 2014, 10:46 PM

>> From: "Fabian"

>> To: [log in to unmask] <javascript:;>

>> Subject: Re: New blog post: Elizabeth I and the 'Blackamoors': the

>> Deportation that never was

>> Thanks Miranda for this.

>> I think the quest for historical accuracy is very important and I

>> welcome your efforts for clarification.

>> I have started an article on wikipedia on Casper Van Senden:

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casper_Van_Senden

>> which I shall expand.

>> It is important to remember that British merchants had been engaged

>> inthe slave trade for some time by 1596 (see Ungerer, Gustav (2008).

>> The  Mediterranean Apprenticeship of British Slavery) even if it had

>> yet been adopted as a money making strategy in England.

>> Strategically, I am up for working on the wikipedia article, already

>> in  the top five on a google search, using Miranda's artcile as a source.

>> think this is perhaps a suitable route to getting a balanced view of

>> this topic?

>> all teh best

>> Fabian

>> On Fri, August 29, 2014 6:50 pm, Miranda Kaufmann wrote:

>>> Thanks Jeff-

>>> It wasn't even an "edict" or a "bill"- it didn't go past Parliament.

>>> It

>>> http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/baentries.htm) most strongly

>>> demonstrates that there was no deportation.

>>> Miranda.

>>> Dr. Miranda Kaufmann

>>> www.mirandakaufmann.com

>>> [log in to unmask] <javascript:;>