"Meta-analysis: common misconceptions"

Date: Friday 15th August
Time: 12:45 pm
Venue: LG80, Bennett Room, LSHTM, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT, UK
Speaker(s): Dr Richard Riley (University of Birmingham)

In this talk, I explain some common mistakes made when undertaking and
interpreting meta-analyses. Firstly, I explain the assumptions behind
the commonly used ‘random-effects meta-analysis’ model, and describe
why it produces a summary result that may mislead clinical practice.
Secondly, I consider the use of meta-regression to estimate
‘effect-modifiers’, which are factors that modify treatment
effect. I explain why this can produce misleading conclusions for
stratified medicine, due to ecological bias. Finally, I discuss why
individual participant data (IPD) meta-analyses should not automatically
be viewed as the ‘gold-standard’, because many biases can also
affect their conclusions. The talk is intended for a wide audience: real
examples will be used throughout to illustrate the issues, and there
will be minimal use of equations.

Admission: Free and open to all with no ticket required. Entry is on a
first come, first served basis.

For external attendees: Please arrive at the Keppel Street reception by
12:35, from where you will be shown to the seminar room.

SIGNOFF allstat