Dear All

RAND Europe is looking for a Data Scientist to join our Innovation & Technology Policy team, in Cambridge, UK.

The details are as follows:

The company:

RAND Europe is an independent, not-for-profit research organisation whose mission is to help improve policy and decision-making through research and analysis.  Our findings and recommendations are based on rigorously peer-reviewed research and analysis. We benefit the public interest through the impact and wide dissemination of our work. Our staff represents 22 nationalities, speaks over 20 languages and covers 31 academic disciplines.  Our multi- and inter-disciplinary approaches to research generate unique perspectives and insights. RAND Europe’s work lies on a continuum, combining the academic rigour of universities and the professional, task-orientated approach of consultancies.

RAND Europe’s fast growing and dynamic Innovation and Technology Policy team works with a broad range of public & private sector decision-makers to inform key decisions on science, technology, innovation, ICT and information society policy in the UK, Europe and globally with objective research, advice & capacity building activities.

Salary

£35,000 - £45,000

Position summary:

Your primary role will be to address complex policy questions by conducting research and analysis on behalf of our clients and support the team in submitting proposals and delivering multiple projects in a timely and accurate manner.

Key responsibilities

•             Conducting policy research – collecting and building datasets, data analysis, and data presentation. You are also likely to be involved in interviews, literature reviews, surveys and other qualitative research methods

•             Drafting and preparing reports

•             Project management on research projects

•             Proposal writing – developing responses to invitations to tender and other business opportunities, including writing methodologies, background material and drafting budgets

•             Everything else: team meetings, team specific products, networking communications (e.g. speaking at conferences, drafting project summaries for the website, etc.)

Skills and Experience

Essential

•             Experience of processing large datasets using a variety of tools such as R, SPSS and/or Stata

•             Comfortable coding in an appropriate language to process such datasets for example Python, Perl and/or SQL

•             Experience of visualising the results of such analysis using charts, network diagrams, geographic mapping or other innovative means

•             Proven methodological & writing skills

•             Fluency in English is essential

•             Ability to work on multiple projects at once

•             Work to tight deadlines

Desired

•             PhD or Masters level qualification in Statistics, Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, or a similar field

•             Familiarity with data mining and or bibliometrics

•             Proficiency in additional languages is an important asset

•             Previous experience in a similar organisation

•             Familiarity with the applying for European Commission tenders

•             Interest in policy research

Qualifications

Educated to Masters or PhD level

Benefits package

As a member of the team you will

•             8%  Employer contribution Pension

•             Bupa Medical insurance

•             Childcare vouchers

•             Flexible working arrangement

•             Permanent Health Insurance

•             Group Life Assurance

•             Generous Holiday allowance

•             A friendly multinational work environment

•             Enhanced maternity and paternity pay

•             Employee Wellbeing Initiatives – such as cycle to work schemes, fresh fruit and company bikes

How to apply

If you feel that you have the qualities to be a part of our team please send a covering letter, an up-to-date CV, a short written example of previous work (up to 3 pages, aimed at a non-technical audience) and details of where you saw the vacancy by email to [log in to unmask] For your information, we will only accept email applications. Please clearly state reference 1190 on all communications.  The closing date for applications is 02 September 2014.

India James

HR Officer

RAND Europe

Westbrook Centre, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 1YG, United Kingdom

Registered in England and Wales, No. 2728021

Office: +44 1223 353329 | Fax: +44 1223 358 845

[log in to unmask] | www.rand.org/randeurope

RAND Europe is an independent not-for-profit public-policy research institute that helps improve policy and decision-making through research and analysis.

may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.

SIGNOFF allstat