FOOTBALL RESEARCH POSITION, DECISION TECHNOLOGY LTD

A full-time position is offered building statistical models of football.  The role involves supporting the Fink Tank column in The Times, supporting our player-level consulting activities and working on other modelling applications, both internal and client-facing, with a small team of researchers based in London.

Background

Over the last twelve seasons, Decision Technology has built a series of statistical models to predict football matches and to rate players. We are at the forefront of the statistical revolution in football. Our forecasts are published weekly in The Times, where we also produce a weekly statistical column, the “Fink Tank”, written by RSS award winning Executive Editor Daniel Finkelstein OBE. We also provide the analysis behind the MLS Castrol Index http://www.mlssoccer.com/castrol.  In addition, we provide statistical analysis services to professional football clubs, league organizations and bookmakers.

Position

Work will involve:

·         Developing column ideas, assembling relevant data and analysing it each week

·         Running weekly match forecasts and player ratings and providing the results to our clients

·         A role in client projects including writing slides and the presentation of findings

·         Mathematical modelling in order to improve our suite of football analysis tools

·         Software development to incorporate model refinements into our production environment

Candidates should have:

·         Expertise in a modelling environment such as R, Stata, Matlab or similar

·         A first class degree from a good university in a mathematical subject. A PhD is an advantage

·         Considerable experience in developing statistical models, and handling complex data sets

·         Good knowledge of, and an interest in, European club football

·         Experience handling complex data sets. Familiarity with Excel, SQL, XML and Internet technologies advantageous

·         Experience in object oriented software development in Java, C++, C# would be advantageous as would knowledge of Python or Perl

Benefits

The position enjoys the following benefits:

·         An initial salary package of £34k - £37k including a one-off sign-on bonus

·         Bonus scheme participation after twelve month’s service

·         Being part of a creative, intellectually stimulating, and informal culture

·         Flexible work patterns, including scope to work from home

Contact

To apply, please complete our on-line application form which you can find at http://www.dectech-research.com/uc/admin/47ba/ and submit it by 7th September 2014. Applicants may be asked to take on-line psychometric tests as part of the assessment process.

SIGNOFF allstat