When we realized a couple of months ago that almost all the anti-Xa activities (to monitor heparin therapy) where measured in our lab on inappropriate samples, we decided that we would not measure any more anti-Xa activities without a prior knowledge of the precise mode - and rationale - of heparin administration, as well as the precise hours of blood sampling. Within a few weeks, the situation improved a lot, and now only a very few percents of the requests are inappropriate. We are quite confident that the figures will even soon drop to a few tenths of percent. We are now doing the same for all therapeutic-drug monitorings but similar figures are not as easily obtained with other drugs , for example with digoxin where "TDM" is in fact more likely to mean "suspicion-of-overdose" and where therefore we feel more reluctant to reject samples without further ado. Best regards, Joseph, Villefranche-de-Rouergue, France

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 08:58:13 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Therapeutic Drug Measurement
To: [log in to unmask]

It’s an enormous task and I backed away from it many times.

But would it be better to reword the question and think of it as something more like “Getting TDM done right” rather than “getting samples collected at the right time”?

That’s a bigger task, but:
1 It includes not doing investigations that don’t help, and the patients in whom no-one remembered to collect any specimens at all (see also AKI for the latter)
2 It points towards clinical education and organisational behaviour that’s much wider than specimen timing
3 The outcome measures you identify to define success would be different
4 It’s closer to seeing it from the patient's point of view.

Jonathan