There's quite a lot on this in the archives.

I agree with Elizabeth about the desirability of moving away from only doing urgent work at night. It's also possible to do a lot of load-balancing and improve processes.

Paul: could you tell us a bit more about your setting. How many analysts on the rota? How many urgent specimens between 2200 and 0700, roughly? Transport time to next nearest laboratory?

Jonathan