Hello to All: This is a thought I've been pondering of late, and wondered
if anyone would be able to comment or provide a reference:

Which ancient societies knew how to maintain or initiate distinctness in
strains of domestic livestock -- cattle, sheep, hogs, dogs, chickens,
goats?

I am not querying here the ORIGIN of domestication, or the act of
domestication per se. What I am specifically thinking of is the Romans --
they have been given credit for developing the Merino sheep. And I also
know that wherever they conquered a region, if they found there some
strain of domestic animal that they admired or thought useful, they knew
how to maintain the distinctness, i.e. by sequestering females in heat
and/or by castration of males or by physically controlling the breeding
activities of males.

But obviously, if the Romans conquered a country and found the strain
already in existence (for example the Maltese dog), then the people of
Malta must themselves already have known how to produce such a dog through
the process of selective breeding.

Can anyone guide me to literature on this subject? Any thoughts will be
welcome! Thanks in advance -- Deb Bennett