Hi,

On 16 August I will circle around the Charleroi
(Brussels South) airport, 15 kilometers.

From Friday 22 August till Sunday 24 August, I will circle around
the Paris Charles de Gaulle airport, 49 kilometers.

I’m inviting you to come with me.

Both events will take place in the context of the WAB.

The idea

1)      Airports are very
similar all around the world. Regional differences are reduced to the souvenirs
that you can buy in the gift shop. In terms of the geographical landscape, it
is a non-place.

2)      The immediate
surroundings of airports, however, differ greatly.

3)      The airport cuts a
hole in the landscape. That’s why it is represented as a shaded surface on the
map. A hole that is not, like a rabbit hole, going down into a bottomless
black, but one that is going up, into an infinite blue.

4)      In order to draw a
void, you have to draw the non-void that is surrounding it. In order to
describe a hole, you have to circumscribe it.

5)      Walking transforms a
line on the map into a discovery. What is discovered can be described.

6)      In order to discover
and describe an airport, you have to walk around it.

The plan

1)      I’m inviting you to
walk with me around Charleroi (Brussels South) en Paris Charles de Gaulle International Airports. I will have studied the route on maps, but I will not have done it
beforehand. We will discover the circle together.

2)      After the walks
around Brussels-Zaventem, Düsseldorf-Lohausen, and London Heathrow, this will be the fourth and fifth in a series of airport walks.

3)      We will not walk
directly around the fence, but along the roads and paths that are close to the
airport.

4)      The focus will be on
the immediate surroundings: houses, nature, people, signs…

5)      There is one
important basic rule: ignore
the airport! Don’t mention the planes!

6)      We will describe our
discovery together, with pictures, titles and short pieces of text.

If you're interested, write me on
[log in to unmask] and I can e-mail you more details about the
concept and the practicalities.

To inscribe for Charleroi, please leave your e-mailaddress on the following Doodle:  http://doodle.com/xeh6re5dhqemp5d6#table
Art Laboratory Nadine will pay the cost of the hotels for Circling Around Paris
airport, for the first 10 participants (Campanile and Ibis, €63 in
total). To inscribe for Paris and enjoy the hotels for free, please leave your e-mailaddress on the following Doodle: http://doodle.com/vib2pk6aftyx9ruf

Once those 10 tickets are sold out, participants will have to arrange the hotel themselves. In that case, leave your e-mailaddress here: http://doodle.com/apn57h7ykxfk8acw

The total number of participants for each of both walks will
be limited to 19.

I hope to see you there,
Bruno

www.bdewachter.be