David,

Some of these points may be a bit obvious - sorry if that's the case.

Anyway, some architectural principles might be needed. For example:

a) Security and privacy concerns trump others.

b) Any significant condition that can be conveniently caught by a site
should be caught by a site.

c) Any condition that is caught at a site should be distributed via a
publish and subscribe pattern.

d) Any concerned monitoring authority should able to subscribe to get
notification of any condition caught by a site

e) Any significant condition that can't be caught by a site may be
caught by a concerned monitoring authority.

f) Any condition that is caught by a concerned monitoring authority
should be distributed via a publish and subscribe pattern.

g) Any concerned site should able to subscribe to get notification of
any condition caught by a concerned monitoring authority.

Etc.

If we built that kind of flexible event driven test and monitoring
system based on those sort of publish and subscribe principles,
a graph of alerts can be managed by those actually concerned, rather
than by any central diktat. For instance, a whole
aggregating web site could be constructed merely by subscribing to the
appropriate services to acquires the necessary signals.

Note: Obviously, publish and subscribe is a "push pattern", where a
services notices an event and pushes the alert to all who
have subscribed to it. The alternative is a pull pattern, where
interested parties poll services to extract the data. I can see
pros and cons for both, but it would be a very big deal to write an
email on them all!

Anyway, it's just an idea to make things flexible. There are other ways
to do it, of course.

Steve

--
Steve Jones                             [log in to unmask]
System Administrator                    office: 220