On 3 July 2014 16:19, Jean-Baptiste Marquette <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
>> It's crashing in astGetCurrent. I just tried it on a random image and
>> "Tweak existing calibration" worked fine for me and I saved the new file.
>> This was an NDF.
>>
>> It may be that we will need your actual file and actual tweaks to proceed
>> further.
>>

>> Follow this link:
>>

>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2021308/VCAM.2010-08-15T03%3A58%3A27.513.chip5.fits
>>

> I assume that Peter is right and that your problem is fixed in the
> development version and will make it out in the 2014A release (imminently).
>

> Great!
>

>> This is an image from VISTA Paranal, extracted from ESO archive, and with
>> some modified keywords towards the standard TAN projection instead of the
>> ZPN original one. Indeed, it is claimed on this CASU page:
>>
>> http://casu.ast.cam.ac.uk/surveys-projects/vista/data-processing
>>
>> that « ZPN is instead correctly understood by other software packages like
>> DS9 and Gaia. » But a match with 2MASS evidently fails on both, using the
>> ZPN version of the header…
>>

> I don't understand why ZPN vs TAN matters when matching with 2MASS. What is
> the actual 2MASS problem? Is it GAIA auto astrometry that is failing with
> 2MASS+ZPN? That shouldn't matter as SExtractor should understand it.
>

> This screenshot shows a zoom on the original ZPN image with 2MASS over
> plotted. The arrows show the systematic shift between the actual sources and
> their 2MASS counterparts. Considering that this image is from the ESO
> archive, that shift is totally unexpected, since the astrometry is supposed
> to be properly described by the ZPN keywords. The TAN version is a tentative
> to overcome this issue. It shows a quite analog shift when displayed in
> Gaia.

If this ZPN problem affects both gaia and ds9 then I suppose AST is an
obvious suspect (or the headers themselves I suppose). Could you let
me have a copy of the file with the original ZPN headers?

David

----
Starlink User Support list
For list configuration, including subscribing to and unsubscribing from the list, see
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=STARLINK