This one is a bit bizarre.  I'd suggest checking the rc1 images of some of the problem and non-problem subjects to see if these are also shifted in the same way as the u_*.nii.  My best guess is that the matrices in the headers of the  u_*.nii have got messed up for some reason.  I don;t know why though.

Best regards,
-John