Dear LST experts,

I am currently learning how to use the LST toolbox in SPM and have come across some confusion regarding the “Determination of the optimal threshold” module, lesion quantification, and lesion localization.

1. With regard to the “Determination of the optimal threshold” module, could you please elaborate on what you mean by creating a binary reference image in FSL for example? Would I use FAST to do this?

2. Just to confirm, is the overall lesion volume in ml? I computed the lesion volume for one of my MS participants and it came out rather large (~66) compared to the volumes noted in the Schmidt et al. (2012) paper, so I just wanted to confirm.

3. I know that binary and probability maps in MNI space are outputted from the PVE-label estimation and lesion segmentation step, but do you have any recommendations for how best to localize the lesions that are identified? That is, if I wanted to provide information about where these lesions are located in a paper, how would I do so?

4. Related to 3, I would like to quantify anterior vs posterior lesions. Is there any way to pull lesion volumes from only particular areas of the brain?  What would you recommend for doing this?

Any information you can provide on these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and help!!!

Sincerely,
Cristina