The contrast: (speech>baseline_post) > (speech>baseline_pre)

will test for any increases in the contrast for post>pre. If
(speech>baseline_pre)
is significant, then you could still find a significant effect with the
above contrast. The contrast does not test for activation in ONLY one
contrast.

I think you need to decide what you want to test, before trying different
combinations:
(1) Do you want only regions that are significantly different and not
active at pre?
(2) Do you want regions that might not be different pre/post, but only
active at post?
(3) Do you want only regions that are significantly different and active at
post?
(4) Do you want only regions that are significantly different, active at
post, but not active at pre?

Once you decide exactly what you want to test, then deciding which
contrasts are needed will become easier.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren