See responses below.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Andy Yeung <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to ask what we need to set about experiment paradigm (apart from
> selecting different specific groups of subjects for comparison) for resting
> state fMRI? Because I read that no task is involved in the experiment...

You need to choose between eyes open, eyes closed, or looking at a fixation
cross. In our lab, we have our subjects look at a fixation cross.

You also need to decide on the length of data to collect. It is generally
recognized that you need at least 5 minutes of data to do most resting
state analyses. Some require more time. As subjects move, you will lose
some data points. Thus, you want to have enough extra time to be able to
exclude the bad time points. Many scans that I have seen are between 6 and
7 minutes.

> And I know some default networks have been identified from resting state
> fMRI. Is it possible to study some specific networks? For example,
> something related to healthy adults' taste network or fear network using
> this technique??

There is only 1 default network. The default network is defined as the
MPFC, PCC, and IPL. There are many networks that can be studied at rest.
However, identifying the taste network from resting data or the fear
network from resting data is not possible as you can't infer function from
resting connectivity. You could, however, assess the connectivity of the
amygdala during rest. You could also assess how regions in the fear network
- defined from task data - are connected.