From: Screenwriting Research Network [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Susan [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 July 2014 14:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: the reality of screenwriters (Bringing `Theory & Practice' Together)

Hi Julian and all,

Re the challenges for, and problems experienced by, female screenwriters.... thanks for the link Kersten.  I know Helen and her excellent work.  I was interested to hear Julian cite family/domestic commitments as a barrier (or the barrier?) to women screenwriters in the industry.That women shoulder most of the domestic and caring work ('love labour') is undoubtedly an important aspect of their exclusion or marginalization in many fields, not just screenwriting.  While not denying such responsibilities are a significant impediment to the career of female screenwriters I think they are more problematic for female directors, for instance. There are other obstacles that I believe are even more problematic.

I'm presently researching the dramatic underrepresented of Irish female screenwriters and while it's a worldwide problem...some countries (Sweden, for instance - as I'm sure you know, Louise)  have put strategies in place to support, encourage and facilitate women to gain a foothold in the industry -and, importantly,  to build on early successes.  The first port of call is an open acknowledgement that there is indeed a big problem. Unless there are statistics to work with, the problem can actually be denied or minimized. This is something I have been struggling with in an Irish context where there has not been statistical information recorded at all. Often the issue is not framed as a problem.  Just business as usual. The way things are.

But I believe it is not only an equality issue for a film industry, its a question of including a range of voices with a range of stories to tell. I know that its unhelpful to pigeon-hole female writers by ascribing particular genre competences to them. Nonetheless,  greater numbers of female filmmakers tend to translate into greater number of female characters onscreen. This has emerged in the work of Smith and Lauzen re Hollywood and in my work on narratives written by Irish female screenwriters  it emerged that women screenwriters overwhelmingly choose a female protagonist.

Women's stories are often dismissed as 'television' and too 'small' for the cinema. There are value judgements of this kind being made all the time about the kinds of stories that should be told and the kinds of stories  an audience want to see. Yet UK research (UK Film Council/ BFI)  would suggest that commissioners sometimes don't always feel the wind of change. Cinema audience are aging and couples are attending in greater numbers. We no longer need to dance to the tune of a perceived young male audience.  But producers tell you its a risky business and there is an element of playing safe involved that doesn't always work in favour of women screenwriters. Susan

Dr. Susan Liddy
Department Media and Communciations MIC (UL)