Join NAG's Committee - Nominations are invited

*Apologies for cross-posting*

NAG Elections 2014

You are invited to submit a nomination for election to the National Acquisitions Group Executive Committee.

NAG’s Committee meets 4 times a year, and membership is very participative, with opportunities to play a part in organising Conference and seminars, collating best practice, formulating guidelines and advice.

As comments from recent past Chairs have shown, membership of  the Committee can be extremely rewarding –

“ As a place to share experience and best practice NAG is unrivalled in what it can offer – it helps us to show our institutions the impact of best practice on what we do, and it helps to show our managers that we are working as smartly as possible in a changing landscape…….the second area in which NAG shines - bringing together librarians from different sectors of the profession, along with their partner suppliers. There is no other organisation that offers this in quite the same way, and the opportunities for networking and learning about the challenges that face others are one of the most valuable things that NAG does”.

“The Committee give their own time to the Group and spend many hours organising and presenting at NAG events. Committee work can be hard work, but I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed my time and benefited hugely from the experience – I would recommend it without hesitation to others”

“Working with NAG has given me the opportunity to develop my understanding of different types of library, to appreciate their differences - and their similarities, to celebrate their successes, and to help develop and promote best practice in acquisitions. I'm proud of the role NAG plays in acting as an honest broker between libraries and their suppliers who work together to achieve this”.

The NAG Constitution provides for a Committee of a maximum of twelve members.  Of these at least one, and not more than four, shall be from each of the following employment categories: academic libraries, public libraries, other libraries or information units, publishing, and library supply (materials, data or systems).  Committee members are elected for a three year term.

There are up to 4 places available on the Committee to serve, in the first instance, for three years from 1st October 2014.  Those elected can be from all employment categories as listed above.

Valid nominations require a proposer (who may be the nominee) a seconder and the counter-signature of the nominee.  All parties must be in current membership of NAG, either personal or corporate.  Nominations must be made on the form  available for download on our website at at http://www.nag.org.uk/about/nag-executive-committee/join-nags-committee-nominations-are-invited/  and must be received by email or post at the NAG office (address below) no later than Friday 25th July

Where nominations are submitted by email, a hard copy with original signatures must be submitted before the announcement of the election result at the Annual General Meeting at Conference in September .

If the number of nominations exceeds the number of vacancies (overall and/or in any individual category) elections will be conducted by ballot of members (as at 1st July 2014.)  Full details of the procedure will accompany ballot papers. There will be one vote per membership subscription. If insufficient prior nominations are received, nominations for the unfilled vacancies will be sought from the floor at the AGM in September 2014.

Nominees are asked to send brief biographical details (250 words or less) and a photograph.  These should be sent by email if possible, with photos in JPEG or GIF format.  Biographies will be sent out with ballot papers and may be placed on our website with full details.

If you would like more information about the work of Committee before deciding to stand for election, please contact the current Chair, Angela Turner, [log in to unmask]   Full details are available from NAG Admin on [log in to unmask]  ,  01924 383010 or www.nag.org.uk   We would also be pleased to put you in touch with other NAG members if you would like to join the Committee but have difficulty in contacting someone to second your nomination.

Judith

Judith Rhodes, LL.B. (Hons.), Dip. Lib., MCLIP.

Administrator

National Acquisitions Group

www.nag.org.uk

12 -14 King Street

Wakefield

West Yorkshire

WF1 2SQ

Please note our new e-mail address

Please use email to contact us wherever possible, as we will generally be able to respond more quickly to this than to a phone message.

However, if you do wish to speak to somebody personally, the numbers are 01924 383010 and 07587 133012