From: Peter Wolters EIA
Sent: maandag 14 juli 2014 12:14
To: [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Night-time operations

Hi;

Night time delivery is like a mental shift, more than a modal shift. The
questions raised below need a holistic public_private approach, while any
solution should be organic. Don’t expect to buy it off the shelve with any
kind of technology. Whatever you implement at night, it will create dozens
of side effects and trade-offs elsewhere. But don’t be misguided; it can
also be positive e.g. you start with X-retailers as front runners in urban
areas, which might attract other more traditional industries in a later
stage. Create your own market, provided you got the DATA - or rather a lack
of (confidential) cost data from the sector due to competitive markets..

While making a ‘quick & dirty’ search in our database, I found attached
files, including:

- Cost modeling (general characteristics to be considered): vehicle fleet
and technology employed; level of consumer service; security and delivery
type; geographical area; degree of market penetration and density;
environmental impact (read cost modeling, university of Antwerp
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042814015213>  – ask
me for contact if needed)

- Best practices: cluster urban freight  <http://www.bestfact.net>
www.bestfact.net (EIA attributed an Award to this French solution
<http://www.bestfact.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/CL1_2_QuickInfo_Distripo
lis-26July2013.pdf> )

- Labor impact: one of the main reasons why Albert Heijn in the Netherlands
is successful in taking their neighbors’ market (Delhaize, Belgium) is the
flexible legal framework of working at night (+ professional logistics).
However, unexpectedly the AH employees started to strike because of work
pressure, less family life etc.

- Citizens impact: this article
<http://www.distrifood.nl/Formules/Algemeen/2012/10/Buurt-klaagt-over-nacht-
AH-in-Utrecht-DIS143913W/>  in Dutch language ‘Neighborhood complains about
night-AH in city of Utrecht’ reports about complaining citizens. Citizens
can’t sleep anymore, some have moved away. I recall a similar case at
Tesco’s in UK; the temperature controlled containers made so much
(perceived!) noise at night that the neighbors succeeded BBC to make a
documentary about it. Go figure the damage to retail X and brand Y...

Basically my advice is to create a new kind of Urban freight community in
which you can test whatever you want while involving all stakeholders who
will start to like trucks if implemented in intermodal concepts. Toys for
boys!

Peter

Peter WOLTERS

Secretary General

European Intermodal Association

* Arenberg 44, B-1000 Brussels (Belgium)
' (t.) +32 2 514 56 54 · Ê (f.) +32 2 514 67 60

ü  <http://www.eia-ngo.com/> www.eia-ngo.com · 8

PS: best regards to senator Malcolm Turnbull