Thanks, Michael and Jo.

Yes – the idea is that we will be less 'hidden'. MPs and Peers use our work
all the time, but don't always know that it is us (POST) providing the
info. But it is more than that – with improved comms we'll be able to reach
a wider audience and help more of Parliament in its use of evidence; and
part of this job will be to development more e-products, which will enable
us do an even better job of explaining science and putting it in a policy
context.

Anyway, thanks for your help in spreading the word. I want lots of quality
applications. :-)

Chris

On 10 July 2014 12:03, Jo Brodie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I wholeheartedly agree about POST's general awesomeness :)
>
> Their POSTnotes (wee four page briefing notes) are a good place to start
> on all sorts of science & tech things. I cannot remember ever wildly
> disagreeing with them on anything, though I may have wished they'd
> clarified the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes...
>
> Jo
> (I am the owner of the psci-com list, but my comments are not made in any
> "official" capacity).
>
> > On 10 Jul 2014, at 11:41, Michael Kenward <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure that I understand what that means, but I view POST as one
> of the hidden gems of Parliament. I have followed POST since its early
> days, not to mention the late lamented US Office of Technology Assessment,
> which was POST's role model.
> >
> > Along with the relevant select committees, it is one of the few places
> where a scientifically illiterate parliament gets some exposure to the real
> world.
> >
> > Until now, though, POST has been very low profile. If the plan is to do
> something about that, great, although it will mean that more people are in
> the know, which is not always good news for journalists.
> >
> > Then again, given that, present company excepted, few "science writers"
> or media outlets show any interest in policy issues – I exclude the ranters
> who bang on about the NHS in their witter feeds – maybe POST will remain
> that hidden gem.
> >
> > MK

> Commands - send an email (any subject) to [log in to unmask] with
> one of the following messages (ignoring text in brackets)
>
> • set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday)
> • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages)
> • signoff psci-com (to leave the list)
> • Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com
>
> Contact list owner at [log in to unmask]
> Small print and JISCMail acceptable use policy
> https://sites.google.com/site/pscicomjiscmail/the-small-print

Dr Chris Tyler
6b Chaucer Road
London SE24 0NU