I’m not going to bang on about the paid/free issue. Instead,  I want to suggest one way in which writing “free” blogs could bring some real benefit to the writers.

Paige’s original invitation said:

“Regular bloggers are not paid currently, but have IT support, full editorial control, and opportunities to do paid science blogo-journalism...”

It would be much more valuable for bloggers if they were not given “full editorial control” but actually had to deal with a picky editor who could tell then if they were planning to write about something terminally pointless. Writers would also benefit from the attention of an editor who went through the copy and pointed to writing lapses that needed treatment.

Reading most blogs, including many by “award winning” writers, reveals that the authors have “full editorial control” to the point that they write crummy copy about ho hum subjects. Many potential clients will read this guff and run a mile.

So slapping unedited copy up on even the most prestigious of websites does bloggers no favours, even though it fills the publisher’s need for words.

I can think of no writer whose words do not benefit from an editor’s attentions. An editor would be far more valuable than “IT support”, whatever that is.

Maybe that is part of the deal. If so, say so. That might provide at least some minor compensation for the lack of any payment.

Of course, editors are even less likely than writers to work for nothing, so they may need paying. But it doesn't take a decent editor long to shred a sloppy article. Some editors can even do so constructively and with sensitivity, not attributes that you will find in the real world of journalism.

MK

PS I edited the subject of this message so that people can follow the discussion