It is frowned upon by those who write for a living, and care about the state of the writing trade in general as well as their own lot.

OpenSciLogs holds out the promise of funding through a crowd-sourcing business model, but the devil is in the detail, and potential contributors should look closely at that detail. It seems to me that OpenSciLogs is no more than a vaguely interesting hypothesis.

Take the idea and reality of Creative Commons licences, which are central to the OpenSciLogs model. Within the NUJ, we are looking closely at CC. Whilst the union does not oppose CC per se, we are constructively critical of it, and many of us, myself included, do not see CC as having any more than a role in publishing limited to certain not-for-profit community projects.

CC certainly doesn't help freelance journalists who rely on income for their creative endeavours. Freelancers should pay special attention to the licensing of their intellectual property in order to keep control of it, and maximise the long-term return from their work.

Francis

On 18 Jul 14, at 12:30, Alastair McQueen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm not active in the science blogging community and so hesitate to get involved, but I wanted to pose a question to the list: why is this type of call for free labour not frowned upon in the same way as unpaid internships?

—
Dr Francis Sedgemore
journalist, writer and editor
telephone: +44 7840 191336