Too hot for ball games Lawrence and certainly too hot for arguing about them. Never said there was a similarity either - except they are both human activities. Mass idiocy is people killing each other, or worse, killing each other because the man above  tells you to. Mass idiocy is a footballer getting 5000 a week or whatever, not someone playing football because they like it or someone watching them play football because they like it. Mass idiocy is anyone getting some ridiculous wage while others get next to nothing. And it may not be mass idiocy but it is definitely minor idiocy - someone who is able to manipulate language in an artful way thinking they are better than someone who can do amazing things with balls.

I am not talking about someone personally liking or disliking any activity or not - I am talking about the way a personal preference for something is built up in the mind into something bigger - a value, a judgement etc.