On 13/07/14 22:06, Pat Lockley wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Found this from Jonathan Rees' blog (http://moreorlessbunk.wordpress.com/2014/07/13/why-most-moocs-are-boring-for-nearly-everybody-involved/)

Page 18 covers how MOOCs have been used almost as "big" OER by some colleges and so on.

Thought it might appeal to researchers and so on
Thanks for the links Pat,

For me this is most interesting bit.

Finding and adapting online content to use for a hybrid course posed the greatest challenge for faculty partners. MOOCs illustrate the priorities of their creators, and these are not necessarily the same priorities that other faculty have for their individual students. Moreover, academic departments develop degree program curricula as a whole, making deliberate decisions about when and where certain content should be taught and competencies assessed within specific courses. To integrate a MOOC into an existing class is not necessarily a simple case of choosing what pieces to include or exclude. Even with online course materials that are a fairly close fit with the pedagogical approach of the instructor and needs of the students, the local instructor may need to re-conceptualize or restructure his or her existing course to fit with the online content.

If a MOOC-consuming professor has to fit a square peg into a round hole, which is going to change first: the MOOC or their class? Since the consuming professor can’t go back and change the superprofessor’s work, I think you know the answer to this question.

I agree with the above, although the danger is to tar all MOOCs with one brush leaving aside the kinds of distinctions between cMOOCs and xMOOCs mentioned here.
http://publications.cetis.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/MOOCs-and-Open-Education.pdf

I'm thinking we need another A. QUAAACs -Quick User-led Accessible Adaptable Academic Communities.

I haven't been able to find a good summary of the specific licences and delivery formats used by MOOCs, although there's loads about the general impact this has on the ability for educators to 'choose what pieces to include or exclude'.

I'm able to do some work in this area and share back, but a list of major players and the licences they use would be a good start if anyone knows of one.

Thanks again,
Mick