Don't we have a list member in Singapore who could possibly assist?

Chris Packham <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Alicja

My point is that it is irrelevant whether that person is employed by a UK
company. The moment they arrive in a foreign country the laws of that
country apply. Obviously a good employer will ensure that as a minimum they
will adopt a policy that is commensurate with UK employment and health and
safety law, but this can only be so far as this does not contradict the laws
of the country in which that person is working. Normally there would not be
a problem as we have some of the best employment and health and safety law
that there is. However, I experienced a situation when working abroad myself
where the local law required a certain course of action (to do with personal
protective equipment) that clashed with the UK health and safety law. In
that situation I had no option but to adhere to the local law. The fact that
I was actually employed in the UK was irrelevant.

With regard to the compensation issue, where the UK employer is not
satisfied that the local law is adequately protecting their employee they
have three options. One is to comply with the local law, another is to seek
some agreement that their employee should have some form of exemption
(unlikely to be agreed locally in my experience) and thirdly simply to
withdraw that employee on the grounds that they cannot accept the risk to
that person from compliance with the local law.

Of course, the converse is also true.  Would you expect that someone coming
to the UK to work could simply ignore our health and safety law and work in
a manner that we would consider unsafe but that would comply with the law in
the country where they were technically employed?

Chris

Chris Packham

FRSPH, FIIRSM, FInstSMM, MCMI, RSP, MBICSc

EnviroDerm Services

Unit 10, Building 11, The Mews, Mitcheldean, GL17 0SN

Tel: 01386 832 311

Mobile: 07818 035 898

www.enviroderm.co.uk

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: