I concur with all sentiments included in the emails below from Karen and
Diane.

The single org ­ that could certainly expand our horizons but there is
another institution with the potential to impact on the education of OH
practitioners. I am involved with a number of colleagues from the FOM in
preliminary discussions regarding establishing a National School of
Occupational Health. Some of you will know of  Dr Richard Heron (current
president ), Dr Olivia Carlton (immediate past president) and Christina
Butterworth ­ President of the AOHNP and Deputy Chair of the Council for
Work and Health.  Other interested parties were also involved including
Health Education England and a Hugh Robertson, senior policy officer for
prevention and rehabilitation at the TUC.  Interestingly the FOM have also
appointed a physiotherapist, Leonie Dawson, on an interesting one year
contract ­ termed something like ³non-medical medical fellow². That is a
very telling appointment ­ as it gives a powerful message that this will not
just be an institution which will be a driver within medical education but
will also influence the education of other health care professionals. The
first intake of doctors will take place this year. OH practitioners from
other specialties, including nursing, have been involved in the recruitment
process for these trainees .

 The National School initially as a validating body for OH education for
medical colleagues. In the long term it will be expanded to influence the
education of other OH professionals including nurses. I envisage that NMC
(SCPHN) validation will become of lesser importance as public protection
will be maintained by the requirement to be registered on the first part of
the NMC register. Its working title was changed from the National School of
Occupational Medicine to the National School of Occupational Health
reflecting the change in emphasis from medical education. Its remit will
have an influence on the education of, and shared learning with other
occupational health care professionals rather than shared learning outcomes
with other SCPHNs as is the current situation.  I feel very positive about
this. Dr Olivia Carlton has chaired our meetings and she has taken a  very
inclusive approach. As Karen observes, not including the regulation of HC
professionals from the law commission  in the Queens speech has implications
as could have resulted in the SCPHN register being ³disbanded². However, the
National School will be influential in an inclusive multi-disciplianry
approach to OH education.

Anne

Anne Harriss
Course Director