I have frequently encountered such requests from HR. Some HR professionals
haven't thought it through.  With the informed consent of the individual, I
am happy to detail the implications of their health issue but in my view it
is usually a pointless exercise giving more specific details such as the
actual diagnosis. For example would it help the manager to know that their
employee has a health condition such as Reiter's Syndrome? - What they need
to be aware of are the implications of that condition. Rather like a
mechanic giving me a long breakdown of which particular part of my car
engine is not working properly. I need to know the implications of those
faults and the cost of putting them right. To be told my carburetor is not
working efficiently does not really assist me. I am no wiser in relation to
working out whether this is a terminal problem. I  want to be able to drive
my car. Knowing how much it will cost to put right and whether my car will
break down/be unsafe to drive/fail an MOT test next week is much more
enlightening.

If HR want more specific details than I have always put the onus on them to
get the consent of the employee to even ask for this information and then I
would also seek informed consent from the employee to provide this degree of
detail.

Anne

On 11/07/2014 21:54, "Christine Mortell"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Good evening, I had a difficult day with HR yesterday. HR seeking access to
> medical report. I provided a synopsis of the report and this still was not
> enough for them They are now seeking a meeting with me re; sharing of medical
> information. HR want to issue employees with a consent form allowing access to
> medical reports. OH Dept does not have a procedure around consent to medical
> reports. Advice needed.....

> Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH