City is dividing staff into Education only and Education and Research. To be Education and Research you have to already have a PhD. In addition, colleagues here, including some who already have a PhD haven’t been allowed protected research time, because 100% of their time is needed for teaching. When I was appointed here in 2001, my remit was to support midwifery lecturers and NHS midwives to develop their research skills and the same is true for my successor, Chris McCourt. It feels like we are moving backwards.

Alison Macfarlane

From: Anna Byrom [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 July 2014 16:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Midwifery academics protected time

I'd be happy to chat!

Sent from my iPhone

On 1 Jul 2014, at 15:10, "Jay, Annabel" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear All,

I am a senior lecturer in midwifery at the University of Hertfordshire and one of my roles is Research Lead for the midwifery academic group.  This involves (among other things) encouraging colleagues to engage with research and scholarly activities.

I am keen to find out what other Universities in the UK allow their academic staff in terms of protected time within their contracted hours for the purpose of conducting research.  If you are a midwifery lecturer at an HEI in the UK and are able to disclose this information, I would be glad to hear from you,

Kind regards,

Annabel Jay

SeniorLecturer (Midwifery)

University of Hertfordshire