For use with Masters students, ome possibilities include:
Justo Gonzalez,
The Story of Christianity, vol. 1
David N. Bell
A Cloud of Witnesses (to the end of the fifth century)
Many Mansions (medieval)

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Frans van Liere <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear learned ones,

This coming semester, I have been asked to teach a church history survey for Calvin Theological Seminary covering the years 100 AD – 1254.

I have been thinking of using the first two parts of the Penguin history of the Church (by Chadwick and Southern, respectively) as textbooks. But do any of you perhaps have better suggestions for a textbooks that covers the history of early AND medieval Christianity in one up-to-date, clear, and affordable volume, which would be good to use for seminary students (mostly doing MDiv., a diverse mix of American, African, and Korean students)?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Frans van Liere

Department of History

Calvin College

1845 Knollcrest Circle, SE

Grand Rapids, MI, 49546

Maureen A. Tilley
Professor of Theology and Medieval Studies
Fordham University
113 West 60th Street
New York, NY 10023