I once again look to those of you on the list for assistance.  I  am attempting to understand some art in the south of France designed in the late-eleventh or the early-twelfth century.

In the debates that ultimately led to the imposition of celibacy on priests of all levels, is anyone aware of any written source where the model of the continence of Joseph may have be raised by those who were arguing for continence rather than celibacy.

While I am at it, is there a secondary work more recent than that of Anne Barstow in 1982 in which the history of the debates is discussed.  My concern is not whether the decision ultimately taken was the correct one but rather the voices in the discussion.

Thank you.

Ruth