Dear Meg,
I was just about to let you know about this publication when Colmán beat me
to it!

I have just checked this Dictionary and no fewer than 6 Fachtna's are
listed, but the most is know about Fachtna of Ross Carbery (pages 299-301).
Eyes are mentioned in the summary there - where miraculously induced breast
milk from Mochaomhóg of Leigh's mother was used by St Ide at Killeedy to
restore Fachtna's failing eyesight (on pg 300), so I think worth you having
a look at this and it should cover all information available from an Irish
perspective.

Best regards
Tracy

Tracy Collins
Company Director
Aegis Archaeology Ltd
32 Nicholas St
King's Island
Limerick

On 15 July 2014 14:03, Colman O Clabaigh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Meg,
>
> The best place to start would be Pádraig Ó Riain's A Dictionary of
> Irish Saints (Dublin, Four Courts Press, 2011)
>
> http://www.fourcourtspress.ie/product.php?intProductID=1051
>
> This is the standard work by the leading authority on the subject and
> will give you all you need to get started. Unfortunately I am away
> from my desk at present and can't access a copy.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Colmán Ó Clabaigh OSB
>

> On 15 July 2014 07:26, Cormack, Margaret Jean <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
> >
> > Can anyone supply information about the cult of St. Fachtna in the late
> > Middle Ages?  I am thinking primarily about the patron of Ross Carbery,
> but
> > information about any other saint of this name - or possible variant of
> this
> > name - would be of interest, especially if s/he can be associated with
> > healing the eyes, or is found together with St. Leger / Leodegarius. But
> any
> > liturgical presence of this saint would be of interest!
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Meg

> report
> > problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
> > [log in to unmask] For further information, visit
> our
> > web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion
>

> --
> Colmán Ó Clabaigh OSB