medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Just contributing to this discussion: the medieval name given to the main liturgical book for the use of a parish priest (which would have calendar, sacramentary, lectionary etc. all in one) seems to have been "Manuale". The evidence comes from synodal statutes of France in the 13th century (Odette Pontal, Les statuts synodaux français, p. 154~) but I have also seen the same term being used in the mss.

[25] [De libris ecclesiasticis] (bb).
Librum qui dicitur manuale habeant singuli presbyteri parochiales, ubi contineatur <dd> ordo servitii <ee> baptismi, cathecismi, extreme unctionis et h u j u s m o d i  et<"> libros alios, in quibus <gg> possit competenter (hh> officium <n) tam diurnum quam nocturnum divinum celebrari.

Sorry the pdf I have of these statutes is badly OCR'ed.

Best,

Nesli

Neslihan Senocak
Associate Professor of History (Medieval Europe)
Columbia University