Cecilia,
Samuel Eliot Morrison wrote in one of his books about European discoveries in the Americas about a "dry mass" celebrated by priests on shipboard when they had no wine. I have some ideas where else to check, but not tonight.
Tom Izbicki

----- Original Message -----

From: "M. C. Gaposchkin" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 7:44:55 PM
Subject: [M-R] liturgical instruments on the move?

Hello you smart people,

I'm hoping some of you can help me think this through. The question is: what would a priest/military cleric needed to have bring with him on crusade to be able to fulfill their function. The sources speak of mass (usually in tents) frequently. And they talk about people confessing and taking communion with some frequency. White stoles are often evoked. (Are stoles particularly relevant?) Two non-eye witness sources talk about altars (alteria). I dont' have a single mention of books. Lots of mentions of litanies, psalms, and prayers.

OK. So, what would have accompanied the crusading clergy east in 1099, 1147, 1189, and so forth? I presume at minimum they would need portable altars, with relics (yes?) What else? Apparently some of their vestments? But what else? chalice? could one make hosts on the spot? Presumably at least a missal, but maybe no other books? Tell me tell me.

cecilia (who is in Maine with her family and without her books, trying to write and revise)

Sent from my iPad
to: [log in to unmask]