Sorry if you have had some of these before, but I have been away and not sure what has been sent or  not

Lot of good stuff here, and I hope you do not mind my continuing to send the digest?

If you do please let me know, and if there are more that the fingers on one hand I will stop

Best wishes all and hope you are enjoying this fabulous weather

Bumper Digest of e-cuttings : 20th - 24th July

You Tube : 24th July

100s of schoolchildren sing protest song in order to keep their local library open

Save Budleigh Library - Devon

http://youtu.be/2Lom2Tt2hIE

Exmouth Journal
Lights, camera, action for library!
When asked why the school got involved with the project, deputy head teacher David Perkins said: “You read a lot about libraries being closed because the perception is they’re used by the elderly, not the younger generations, and we wanted to get across in the strongest terms that this is not accurate, and the families in our community use it in a number of ways."
http://www.exmouthjournal.co.uk/news/lights_camera_action_for_library_1_3689840

Local Gov : 24th July
Councils urged by NLGN Think Tank to share arts and culture services
ACE's Alan Davey contributed to the Study and is quoted
http://www.localgov.co.uk/Councils-urged-to-share-arts-and-culture-services/36835

NLGN Think Tank Study : 24th July
Local Authorities must find new ways to champion the arts & culture
http://www.nlgn.org.uk/public/2014/local-authorities-must-find-new-ways-to-champion-the-arts/

The Star : 24th July
Library volunteers hailed Sheffield ‘saviours’
Sheffield Hallam MP Nick Clegg paid tribute to the hundreds of ‘saviours’ who had come forward.
The council said 66 full-time equivalent library posts are to go ...
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/campaigns/library-volunteers-hailed-sheffield-saviours-1-6748489

Lincolnshire Echo : 24th July
Lincolnshire CC deny trying to manipulate media response from community
hub groups following library ruling in High Court
http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Lincolnshire-County-Council-deny-trying/story-21820041-detail/story.html

Society for Research in Child Development : 24th July
Press Release | UK Study : 'Stronger early reading skills predict higher intelligence later'
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-07/sfri-ser071714.php

Private Eye
Issue No. 1371 (p.27)
Library News | APPG report on school libraries
available in all good newsagents

Eversheds International : 23rd July
Decision to cut libraries quashed by High Court
A slightly more detailed legal analysis of the Lincs judgment than those seen to date
http://www.eversheds.com/global/en/what/articles/index.page?ArticleID=en%2FLocal_government%2FLocal_Government_Briefing_Note_14_of_2014

BBC News : 23rd July
Threatened Sheffield libraries to remain open
All 15 Sheffield libraries threatened with closure will remain open after the city council agreed to let community groups run them.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28452286

BBC News : 23rd July
Libraries 'crucial' for local life, people tell Welsh Assembly inquiry
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28423522

National Assembly for Wales : July 2014
Report - Public Libraries in Wales
http://www.assemblywales.org/bus-home/bus-business-fourth-assembly-laid-docs/cr-ld9868-e.pdf?langoption=3&ttl=CR-LD9868%20-%20Report%20by%20the%20Communities%2C%20Equality%20and%20Local%20Government%20Committee%20on%20public%20libraries%20in%20Wales

ITV News : 23rd July
Libraries 'much more than books' for Welsh communities
http://www.itv.com/news/wales/update/2014-07-23/libraries-much-more-than-books-for-welsh-communities/

Wales Online : 23rd July
Fancy running your library? AMs warn community-run libraries are likely to be a reality as cuts bite http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/fancy-running-your-library-assembly-7482701

Mirfield Reporter : 23rd July
All but two Kirklees libraries at risk of closure
http://www.mirfieldreporter.co.uk/news/local/all-but-two-kirklees-libraries-at-risk-of-closure-1-6745990

Birmingham Mail : 23rd July
Five Birmingham district libraries given £250k charity cash to attract more youngsters
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-district-libraries-given-250k-7485428

Hull Daily Mail : 23rd July
Holderness Road library faces closure under Hull City Council cuts

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Holderness-Road-library-faces-closure-Hull-City/story-21745757-detail/story.html

Leicester Mercury : 23rd July
Letter | Council appears to have lost the plot
Most of the above are occurring when we are being told through their consultations that libraries must close due to lack of funding?  Have they no respect for the many of us who are finding it difficult to make ends meet?
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Council-appears-lost-plot/story-21745043-detail/story.html

Cotswold Journal : 23rd July
Bigger, brighter library heading for Bourton
http://www.cotswoldjournal.co.uk/news/11361187.Bigger__brighter_library_heading_for_Bourton/

Locality : 22nd July
Income Generation for Public Libraries: a Practical Guide for Library Service
Commissioners and Providers in England

http://locality.org.uk/blog/income-generation-public-libraries-practical-guide-library-service/

Leon's Library Blog : 22nd July
Better than indifference!
http://leonslibraryblog.com/2014/07/22/better-than-indifference/

Loughborough Echo : 22nd July
Leicestershire | Air your views on communities strategy
• Help people and communities to support themselves and vulnerable people, reducing the demand on public services; • Devolve services – increase the ability of community groups to take over, or work more closely with, services currently delivered by the council;
• Ensure voluntary groups support the council to deliver its priorities on service devolution and help for vulnerable people.
http://www.loughboroughecho.net/news/local-news/leicestershire-communities-strategy-consultation-views-7436228

News Shopper : 22nd July
Kent County Council admits to job advert blunder after libraries vacancy is pulled
Kent County Council has admitted it made a “mistake” by posting a job advert about transforming its libraries into a trust model – before publicly consulting on the change or having councillors agree to it.
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11357870.Kent_County_Council_admits_to_job_advert_blunder_after_libraries_vacancy_is_pulled/?ref=var_0

Express & Star : 22nd July
Staffordshire library's hours under threat despite review
“I am very concerned that this consultation is not as transparent and open as it is being made out to be.  It appears that in some areas that decisions have already been made."
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/07/22/staffordshire-librarys-hours-under-threat-despite-review/

Ledbury Reporter : 22nd July
Hay-on-Wye under attack
The town council has issued a public warning that funding for libraries and playing fields could soon follow the public toilet budget down the pan.
http://www.ledburyreporter.co.uk/news/11357989.Hay_on_Wye_under_attack/

Hinckley Times : 22nd July
Leicestershire | Book lovers hoping for people power win
http://www.hinckleytimes.net/news/local-news/barwell-book-lovers-hoping-people-7446268

Stourbridge News : 22nd July
Worcestershire | Hagley Parish Council steps in to save library
An agreement has been reached whereby the county council will continue to provide a library service through the support of volunteers while the parish council takes over the responsibility for the building and the premises management costs involved.
http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/local/11357375.Hagley_Parish_Council_steps_in_to_save_library/

Sunderland Echo : 22nd July
Letter | What about those without gadgets?
"It is very sad that we now have a group of people who can be called the ‘digitally disenfranchised’". http://www.sunderlandecho.com/opinion/letters/letters-tuesday-july-22-2014-1-6742754

Ripley & Heanor News : 22nd July
Derbyshire | Have you say on mobile libraries
http://www.ripleyandheanornews.co.uk/news/local/have-you-say-on-mobile-libraries-1-6743267

Ledbury Reporter : 22nd July
Hay-on-Wye police station to move
Hay-on-Wye's police force could soon be operating out of library, after the announcement from Dyfed Powys Police that it is looking to relocate the station.
http://m.ledburyreporter.co.uk/news/11357927.Hay_on_Wye_police_station_to_move/

Library Campaign : 21st July
The spin behind council’s message on libraries exposed by Dorset library user
and see posted comment
http://www.librarycampaign.com/the-spin-behind-the-council-story-on-libraries-exposed/

Infoism : 21st July
Why I think we need to speak out against media assaults on public libraries
http://infoism.co.uk/2014/07/why-i-think-we-need-to-speak-out-against-media-assaults-on-public-libraries/

Daily Mail : 21st July
Councils cut services, not salaries
Two thirds have ignored Government's pleas for pay restraint and reduced spending on libraries or retirement homes instead
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2699482/Councils-cut-services-not-salaries-Two-thirds-ignored-Governments-pleas-pay-restraint-reduced-spending-libraries-retirement-homes-instead.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Spalding Guardian : 21st July
Council leaders bid to save libraries offer
Plans to reform Lincolnshire’s library service are in limbo ....
http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/what-s-on/lifestyle-and-leisure/council-leaders-bid-to-save-libraries-offer-1-6191089

The Star : 21st July
D-Day for Sheffield library plans
But the results will not be publicly available until Wednesday as the council has told groups to keep the news confidential so staff can be briefed.
http://www.thestar.co.uk/what-s-on/out-about/d-day-for-sheffield-library-plans-1-6737691

Public Libraries News : 20th July
Editorial | What’s the effect of volunteer libraries on the Summer Reading Challenge?
http://www.publiclibrariesnews.com/2014/07/whats-the-effect-of-volunteer-libraries-on-the-summer-reading-challenge.html

Exeter Express & Echo : 19th July
Devonshire | Ottery fears for its library's future
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Ottery-fears-library-s-future/story-21657169-detail/story.html

Frances Hendrix

Martin House Farm, Hilltop Lane, Whittle le Woods, Chorley, Lancs, PR6 7QR

Tel:  01257 274 833.   Mobile: 0777 55 888 03