A link to an interesting article has been added to the ebooks page of Local
Government Library Technology (LGLibTech)
https://lglibtech.wikispaces.com/E-Books#Libraries%20as%20ebook%20publishers

From the article: "As libraries consider the impact/future of ebooks in
libraries, so much of that energy is spent on the actions of vendors and
publishers. Digitization of local content holds a lot of potential for all
libraries. Vendor-driven solutions are expensive and can be overkill for
many types of information that libraries might want to digitize and
distribute".

Summing up the value the author writes:

"Developing the skills to digitize, reshape and distribute content has the
power to change our thinking with regard to electronic content, leading
toward greater independence among libraries. By building
projects/communities, we develop expertise in our communities that vendors
cannot possess. Libraries of any type possess intimate knowledge of their
communities. The system developed in this project has low technological and
cost barriers, and represents the first step in the development of an open
source publishing model for libraries. A logical next step would be to
provide publishing assistance for organizations, families, churches, etc.,"

Most of the' public library as ebook publishers' examples are from the US
(South Ayrshire being a notable exception). If there are any UK examples do
feel free to add them to the LGLibTech page-anyone can add content

Ken

Ken Chad Consulting Ltd Tel: +44(0)7788727845
<http://www.kenchadconsuting.com/> http://www.kenchadconsuting.com Twitter:
@kenchad Skype: kenchadconsulting