From: Jane Bramley
Sent: 30 June 2014 12:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Amenments to CDPA Act and ramifications for inter-library loan requests

Dear All,
               I was wondering if I could ask you all whether the amendments that occurred in June to the Copyright Designs and Patents Act (CDPA) 1988 have altered the way any of you accept inter-library loan requests.

I have been told by out Copyright advisor that:

“A person requesting a copy to be made under the provisions of ss 42A and 43 must provide a “declaration in writing” that he/she has not previously received a copy of the same material, etc. etc. A signature used to be required for this declaration by s 37(2)(a), but this is now repealed. This means that requests for inter-library document supply may now be submitted by e-mail without any signature.”

This seems like quite a big change to me and I want to be sure I am interpreting the amendments correctly before we agree to this.  The act still states that a request must be sent to a Library with a declaration in writing that includes the information below;

(a )the name of the person who requires the copy and the material which that person requires,

(b) a statement that the person has not previously been supplied with a copy of that material by any library,

(c) a statement that the person requires the copy for the purposes of research for a non-commercial purpose or private study, will use it only for those purposes and will not supply the copy to any other person, and

(d) a statement that to the best of the person’s knowledge, no other person with whom the person works or studies has made, or intends to make, at or about the same time as the person’s request, a request for substantially the same material for substantially the same purpose.

I believe that what our copyright advisor is saying is that we need the above information on the request form but the form does not necessarily have to be signed, so presumably we could now have an online request form whereby users complete the form with the necessary personal and bibliographic information and then we could have  a we accept/agree that the above conditions apply tick box that users would need to click on and we could then accept electronic requests.

Please can I ask how other Libraries are interpreting these amendments has anyone else stopped asking for signed inter-library loan requests?

Kind regards

Jane

Jane Bramley

Inter-Library Loans