Dear friends of the NHS

Following our packed meeting earlier this week we have been kept busy
responding to all your suggestions made at the meeting and by email. Thanks!

And now we have a breakthrough!

Soon after we contacted Virgin Care about the delay in hearing from
Peninsula we had an email from Peninsula's local chair who said, "I am sorry
there has been a delay responding to you.  Annual leave played a major role
in the delay."

The replies received (of which we include just two here) mean that there
will be a delay (literally 'stop press'!) until we can publish the complete
and up-to-date dossier. But we will!

Meanwhile: "1. Virgin Care does not own or run the GP practices involved
with Peninsula Health nor does Virgin Care have any say in how these
practices operate. Peninsula Health is a partnership between some local GP
practices and Virgin Care that jointly runs additional (non-GP) services in
the community, ie services that are not traditionally offered by GPs. These
services would historically have been provided in a hospital setting, but
can now safely be delivered in a non-hospital setting.

2. In most cases the services provided by Peninsula Health are new or
extended services delivered in several pre-existing community settings (such
as GP practices or health centres) rather than one solitary location - such
as the hospital. This is often cheaper, more accessible and more appropriate
than providing these services in the local acute hospital which is where the
savings are made. As these are additional services, there are no associated
cuts."

All of our questions and the replies from Peninsula and the CCG will be
published as soon as possible.

Best wishes on behalf of Defend Our NHS

https://www.facebook.com/groups/defendournhs/

Twitter: @defendourNHS #defendourNHS